Our guest is Jake VanderPlas, who is a real Data Science Fellow at the UW eScience Institute, and is the author of the recently published Python Data Science Handbook.
Topics discussed include
- bridging the astronomy-astrology divide
- whether the e in eScience is the same as the e in eBay
- why Jake keeps saying “transcriptable” like it's a real word
- whether newsletters have replaced blogs
- how to talk to people at parties
- what it’s like being a data scientist in academia
- whether students still hook up in the library
- why your zodiac sign isn’t what you think it is
- whether Pluto is a planet and why people care
- teaching statistics using simulation
- how to pronounce "numpy"
- using deep learning to identify new constellations
- building an AI that chooses the right data visualization
This week's theme music has a cool Vegas swanky lounge vibe.
Please listen to it.